In college, I was obsessed with the gender, sex and relationships, and filled my course load with career-boosting courses (NOT) like Men & Women in American Society, Biology of Human Sexuality, Sociology of Human Sexuality, Sex & Violence in Asian American Literature, Art & Literature Depicting Women During the Renaissance, etc, etc.
Then the travel bug hit me before I studied abroad in London my junior year and I obsessively researched European countries to plan my travel itinerary and spent hours and hours pouring over travel guides to France, Italy, The Netherlands, Scotland, Spain, etc. For at least 2 solid years after college graduation, the only books I read were travel memoirs, and the highlights of my mid-20s were vacations---A 14 day solo trip to London, Manchester & Paris and a vacation to Ecuador to stay with a close friend and his family in Quito.
Somewhere in the last 5 years, life and the financial commitment of living in NYC has me focused less on international travel and more on other, newer obsessions like wedding planning, immediately followed by "oh crap, I'm pregnant!" baby planning, immediately followed by research into education methodology, parenting philosophy, and slew of related topics that I never thought I'd care about. In fact, when I was pregnant and first read the phrase "parenting philosophy", I was like "Huh??? People label their parenting styles? That's insane. Free range parenting? Attachment Parenting? People think too much."
But now I'm the poster child of a mother who thinks so much. This latest parenting obsession makes sense - I am a mom after all - but it goes way beyond what an average parent needs to know. Parenting is instinctual for the most part - it's not like you need to study. But I'm addicted to the research component of it all - I want to learn everything there is to know about raising a child from various points of view, all the different theories on discipline, every method of sleep training, play-based learning philosophies, at-home project ideas to build fine motor skills, increase confidence, etc, etc.
In my free time, I read blogs like Play at Home Mom, Tinkerlab, Modern Parents, Messy Kids, Penelope Trunk's Homeschooling Blog and various mommy blogs, I see what my virtual mommy friends are up to on Twitter, and I scope out Pinterest for cool project ideas to add to my For Savvy board. I've read all the books. In fact, I'm expecting a shipment from Amazon that includes How to Raise and Emotionally Intelligent Child, which I'm sure isn't rocket science but I'm DYYYYINNNNNG to read it because it is referenced so often in all these silly articles and blogs I read.
When I stop and think about it, it's clearly insane to be doing all this additional research when parenting has come incredibly naturally to me. Half the time, I read some piece of advice and pat myself on the back because it highlights something I already do naturally. Parenting my sweet Savannah already occupies my brain 99% of the day - I should probably use the remaining 1% of my mental energy to focus on ME.
So I need a new obsession. I WANT that obsession to be living up to the goal of this blog to explore the world through NYC. I just need to figure out what to explore FIRST.